Sunday 6 February 2011

The Muggs At The Prince Of Wales

I wonder if they have two 'g's in their name because the band consists of two guitarists and a drum machine? Anyway, they were playing last night at a fairly quiet Prince of Wales, in Caversham; BlackLin and I went along and had a good time.

The Muggs played what you might term 'light rock' - ranging from Buddy Holly and Roy Orbison, to Coldplay and Travis, via the Eagles and 70's Fleetwood Mac. Not as exciting (for me) as heavy rock, but when I'm there with good company still very enjoyable. They combined an electric guitar with a twelve string, which worked well with this style of music, and their singer was in good voice. The drum machine was only used on some tracks, and wasn't at all intrusive (unusually). As often happens, the band warmed up as the evening went on (or maybe the audience just had more to drink), so by the end there were people up dancing, and I think all of us were tapping our feet.

It was interesting that last night felt like a quiet night at the PoW - there was a reasonable clientele really, but I have become used to Saturday night being busier. But it was nothing like fifteen months ago when the new landlords started doing live music and some evenings there was a brilliant band but hardly anyone there to enjoy it (for instance). If I'd wanted packed I should have gone Friday evening, apparently: the England/Wales game was on the big-screen TV, followed by a young local band, and the pub was heaving. It's really encouraging that such an excellent local community pub is doing well - particularly one that does such good beer and Thai food.

Incidentally, if you happen to have a website link for The Muggs, please let me know and I'll link them, with a picture if there's one available. Google didn't help me because 'The Muggs' seems to be an immensely popular band name.

4 comments:

  1. Now this sounds like a fun time! Thanks for trying on the cat's pajamas. I've missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good time to me too! Glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way some of these new groups are using the new technology in their compositions. Many are showing a lot of creativity. I'm not familiar with the Muggs but the groups you listed as influences were pop/rock groups I liked.

    In New York, I tend to go to some of those music dives that sometime seem too small for live music but have a great atmosphere with everybody in the pit together. It's enjoyable to discover up and coming groups that truly have something to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was fun. The Prince of Wales has a band on most Saturday evenings, some good, some not so good. I don't get to as many as I'd like, but I usually enjoy myself when I do.

    The trouble with new technology can be that it becomes the end in itself rather than just one more tool, so it was good to hear a band using it when it was useful and not when it wasn't. It was also interesting to hear that they seemed to have programmed the machine with some flair and imagination, so it wasn't just a flat beat with twiddles.

    I do wish the PoW would advertise their gigs better, though. They have a Facebook page, but hardly ever use it. I like covers bands, but up-and-coming with something to say are especially worth looking out for, I agree.

    ReplyDelete